Easter was a good day! The day before Jeremy's work had a party to celebrate the 2-year anniversary of the current owner. We had a great time, with great food, and great people. Unfortunately, that night brought some rain and cooler weather, making Easter Sunday a little wet. I made fruit salad to take to Jeremy's parents' house. I asked Mom for the Poppyseed Dressing she uses for fruit and a strawberry-spinach salad.
Here's the recipe:
Poppyseed Dressing
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 Tbsp. dry mustard
2 tsp. salt
2/3 cup vinegar
3 Tbsp. onion juice
2 cups Wesson oil
3 Tbsp. poppyseeds
1. Mix sugar, dry mustard, salt, vinegar, and onion juice together with an electric mixer.
2. Add Wesson oil to mixture by adding as a fine stream while mixing with the electric mixer.
3. Add poppyseeds to the mix.
Couple of chef notes:
- I asked the regular grocery store and a specialty grocery store, NO they have never heard of onion juice. They don't make it and bottle it. You must make your own. It will take a medium size onion and a cheese grater, and a BUNCH of tissues!!!
- I measured the 2 cups of Wesson oil in a 2-cup Pyrex measuring cup. Poured with the left hand and held the electric mixer with the right hand.
This recipe came from my mom, who I think got it from my grandmother, Murr C. She got it out of the Helen Corbit Cookbook. The recipe calls for "Wesson oil", Murr C thought Helen Corbit got paid to use the name. Everyone loved the fruit salad.
Easter lunch was great. Brisket, potato salad, fruit salad, deviled eggs, baked beans, and of course, dessert. But with it being wet outside we had Layla hunt Easter eggs inside. I'm not quite sure she has the understanding of the whole hunting egg event. Hopefully next year it will be warmer and she will be more interested. After lunch we went and saw Fast and the Furious 4. It was pretty good, and leads you to believe there will be a 5th movie.
No comments:
Post a Comment